Kuban Cossacks in Howell, New Jersey celebrated Pokrova
The center of the Kuban Cossack Voisko Abroad,in Howell, New Jersey celebrated the National Cossack Holiday of The Protection of Our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary on October 18th, 2015. The Cossacks of the Stanitsa, as well as Cossacks from neighboring Stanitsas, attended Divine Liturgy at Saint George Orthodox Church, which was founded in 1959 by Kuban Cossacks. After Divine Liturgy, the Cossacks enjoyed a celebratory lunch in the Cossack hall and towards the conclusion of the celebration, everyone was invited to visit the Kuban Cossack Museum. The museum to this day features a collection of Cossack memorabilia, as well as historic items relevant to all Cossack Peoples. Attending the Celebration were representatives from the Captive Nations Organization. Captive Nations organization was established in 1959, after public law 86-90 proclaimed third week of July of each year, to be dedicated to Nations of which have lost their independence during the regime of the Soviet Union and other nondemocratic rule. Included in the proclamation is Cossackia, referring to the territories which autonomously belonged to the Cossacks and were known as the Don, Kuban, Terek, Astrakhan, Ural, Orenburg, and the Kalmuk regions.